Day #61 - Meet the PMWe met our PM's tonight, yes, we have 2. Mike and B.J. were great. They answered all our questions and were very patient with us. This meeting consisted of signing papers (aren't they all?) and an introduction of the PM's and what their roles are in our build. They also staked our lot for us so we knew our property lines and where our house would sit on the land. They gave us a lot of good tips, one of which was to not paint until after the 10 month walk through is complete. With the land and house settling there will be some nail pops and after fixing them you will need to repaint the entire wall. So we are going to try to take this advise. I don't know how long I can last with all white walls. See below for some more tips.
The pace seems to be speeding up. We were approved for our loan and they are breaking ground in just a couple days. They think they will complete in April, early April. That is earlier than we thought, by like a month!
- If you don't like the chrome towel & toilet paper holders have the PM's make a note to leave them uninstalled. This makes your life easier so that you do not have holes to fill when replacing them.
- If you are getting a 2nd floor laundry and plan on having a gas dryer your door will be louvered. It is code that you get this door for air flow. We were not aware of this till it was too late.
- If you want a wider driveway this is the time to ask for it. They will let you know when to talk to the sub contractor to get this done. Trust me, you want a wider driveway.
- If you are planning on putting a counter top on your washer/dryer you need to tell the PM at this meeting so they can drop the water/gas hookups a few feet so they do not interfere with your counter.
- Building a home is still expensive.