Monday, July 29, 2013

Reflections

Building with Ryan Homes 

We have been in our home for about 3 months now. I have been thinking about the process and all of the ups and downs. All in all even with the frustrations, disappointments & issues we faced I would do it again. If we had an issue, it was fixed. It might have taken a few calls but it was always resolved. 

We have had a couple severe issues since closing (one with flooring and one with water leaking). I am sure we will have several other issues while the house is settling. During our water issue, the plumber had a perfect saying for new home building: "Most people building a house for the first time think that it is like buying a new car, but it is the furthest thing from it". After thinking about that for a while, it was the BEST way to put it. Going into this process, both my wife and I, had this mentality. Unfortunately, I think this has spoiled my experience a bit. 

To give you new builders some advise: 

  • Don't sweat the small stuff! If something is wrong, they will fix, replace or upgrade it! There will be things that go wrong, it is human nature.  
  • Take pictures! Especially before the drywall goes up. You will never have to guess "what's behind this wall" again!
  • Bring tools! I wish I didn't have to write this one. After the sub-floor goes down and before your flooring is installed, bring a hammer and nails. We had to have our floor replaced (high end laminate) and after seeing only a couple nails in each sheet of plywood, I would suggest you nail it down better yourself. I wish I would have had this advise as my house sounds like its 100 years old. The creaking floors are, at times, unbearable.

2 comments:

  1. We have the same issues with our subfloor. It really shouldn't be so hard to secure it properly, but they seem to be incapable of doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard this from multiple people. I just wish I knew before now or I would have done something.

      Delete